Our full and half day training programs can help you sharpen your skills, develop new insights, and tap into a support network for your Drupal projects.
Taught by industry experts, these classes are an excellent value for $85 (full day) and $45 (half day). The trainings will be held on Friday, February 1 at 701 Carnegie Center in Princeton, New Jersey. Breakfast and lunch are included in the ticket price.
- 9:00 am – Check-in and Breakfast
- 9:30 am – Classes begin
- Noon – Lunch
- 5 pm. – Classes end
Trainer: Suzanne Dergacheva, Evolving Web
Learn how to apply accessibility standards to your design and development practices. Get hands-on experience testing and implementing accessibility improvements through Drupal site building and theming.
The training will cover the following topics:
- Accessibility terminology and concepts
- Understanding web accessibility and assistive technologies
- Creating more accessible content
- Design considerations for accessibility
- Identifying and resolving common accessibility issues at the code level
- Using theming techniques to resolve accessibility problems
- Accessibility testing tools
- Incorporating accessibility best practices into your workflow
Object Oriented PHP (OO PHP)
Trainer: Nick Selvaggio, Sego Solutions
Suited to: Developers with a basic understanding of PHP and little or no experience with OO principles, who want to gain a solid understanding of OO principles/concepts, how they apply to PHP, and ultimately Drupal 8.
We will take students through all the core pillars of OO programming. We will start with general knowledge applicable to all OO environments, then focus on PHP specifics. We'll end with an introduction to some core Drupal concepts and how they relate to the OO foundation we provided during the day.
We will be distributing environments via StackStarter.io, so there's no need to have your own preconfigured environment for the training. Just bring your laptop and a willingness to learn!
Best Practices in Website Personalization for Higher Ed (1/2 Day, 9:30am - 12:30pm)
Trainer: Ray Saltini, FFW
First steps and prerequisites
Content and workflow
Using the right technology
Privacy and accessibility
Moving toward personalized education
Project Management for Drupal Projects (1/2 Day, 1:30pm - 4:30pm)
Trainer: Ray Saltini, FFW
Trainer: Dustin Schau, GatsbyJS
- Configuring your environment for Node development
- Creating a project using Gatsby
- Installing and using plugins
- Creating a progressive web app with offline functionality
- Authoring templates with React’s JSX language
- Sourcing data at build time from a headless Drupal instance
- Querying data with GraphQL
- Building and deploying with Netlify
Modern CSS Layout Techniques
Trainer: Levi Sigworth, XIAH
We will explore current best practices for layouts using CSS Grid and Flexbox. Inflexible and predefined grid systems are no longer necessary, and we don't have to rely on quirky float-based layouts anymore.
The overall goal of this course will be to provide an intro to CSS Grid and Flexbox. Students will receive free resources that they can use in the future to review and reinforce the concepts, and they will also leave with a Drupal project that implements CSS Grid and Flexbox.
- Work through the videos on cssgrid.io together.
- Implement CSS Grid concepts in a Drupal site via the Layouts API, Views module, and Twig templates.
- Highlight important videos about Flexbox in flexbox.io
- Build a responsive menu in Drupal using Flexbox.
- If enough time remains, introduce design components via Pattern Lab and how CSS Grid, Layouts API, and Pattern Lab can work together.
Note: a laptop where you can run a local Drupal environment is required in order to work on the code examples in class.